We have some great camp grounds in our rohe including Kapowairua (Spirits Bay) Tapotupotu and Conservation sites.
Kapowairua (Spirits Bay) Tapotupotu
Located in the Te **** Recreation Reserve and Rarawa Beach
$15 adult/night, $7.50 child/night (5-17 years).
- Number of tent sites – 45 each
- Rarawa – 65 tent sites
- 16 km of gravel from Waitiki Landing
- No rubbish bins on site. December to February, rubbish is collected daily. At all other times, please remove your rubbish. A rubbish transfer station is at Houhora.
- Mosquitoes prolific – take insect repellent
- Water from tap
- Showers (cold)
More information on this and other local camp sites is available from the Dept. of Conservation site »
You can drive to most Conservation Campsites and boat-in to some. Each Conservation Campsite is unique but the facilities and services provided at campsites are divided into categories: Serviced, Standard, Backcountry, Basic.
Fees are charged according to the campsite category and the level of facilities and services provided.
- No bookings – first come/first served
- Serviced by DOC rangers daily peak season
- Self-registration during off-peak period
- Back-country hut pass does not apply
- Campervan access / eligible for NZMCA pass